Friday, February 10, 2023

1826

 

Boston has several horse-drawn omnibus lines in operation. By 1845 “some twenty lines carried the Bostonian about his business quickly and expeditiously.” In this era, Oscar Handlin wrote, only one Bostonian in 64 was brought to court. Only one in 107 was convicted. (21-18.)




President John Adams dies.


President Jefferson dies the same day.


* 

John Adams dies. A few of his thoughts on life: 

“To be good, and to do good, is all we have to do.” 

“A scholar is always made alone.” 

“He was no man’s enemy but his own.”   (Referring to his on son Charles’ death from alcoholism) 

“The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know...Do justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly.  This is enough.” 

“He who loves the Workman and his work, and does what he can to preserve and improve it, shall be accepted of Him.” 

“Will you tell me how to prevent riches from producing luxury?  Will you tell me how to prevent luxury from producing effeminacy, intoxication, extravagance, vice and folly?   (Letter to Thomas Jefferson)



The home of future presidents.

Quincy, Massachusetts.







No comments:

Post a Comment