Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Wisdom on the Walls

I remember attending an in-service day and listening to a gentleman say that we should do more to decorate the walls of our classrooms.

He suggested that we hang up family pictures and diplomas and I could see his point immediately. I have always enjoyed a good quote and started printing them out on little posters and sticking them up all around.

My favorite, and the touchstone of my entire history class was this:


Some quotes I included for the humor—since humor never hurts when dealing with teens. One came from Shakespeare: “You are not worth the dust the rude wind blows in your face.” I liked the comedy of the insult and added it to my collection. One day, I was walking through the lunch room when Josh Parton, one of my funniest students, called out from the distance:

“Mr. Viall! You are not worth the dust the rude wind blows in your face.” We both had a good laugh and I was glad a little of the Bard’s wisdom resonated with at least one student.

Here are a sampling, a few of my favorite quotes out of several hundred, turned into posters for a history classroom:


Humor.


A reminder for teachers and students:


Character Education:


Understanding others:


Understanding ourselves:


A plug for reading:


We all understand this:


The Tao of Forest Gump:


Something for everyone to remember when arguing:


Attitudes are a key to success in any endeavor:


Positve reinforcement is probably overused:


How teen peer groups form:  


Useful when discussing any war:


This one is for teachers:


Why do we study history?


The people in the past are like us.


I used to be a lazy student myself:


Never trust anyone who wants to make you hate:


Not that students will ever lie to get out of trouble!


The saddest question:


Lincoln explains his philosphy in a few words:


Truman explains his philosophy in even fewer:


A classic political put-down:


For World History, a warning about tyranny:


We did a great deal of writing in my class. I tried to impress this idea on students:


Not bad advice for living:


Send me an email if you are interested in seeing more of these.
vilejjv@yahoo.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment