Friday, July 1, 2016

A Few Quotes that Still Matter

As a history teacher I always liked to post good quotes around my room. I thought it might make students think. 

One of my favorite moments came one day when Josh hailed me from far across the lunchroom. “Mr. Viall,” he called loudly, “you are not worth the dust the rude wind blows in your face.”

I was pleased to see the young man was quoting Shakespeare, himself, by way of one of my posted quotes.

Here are a few of my favorites.

(I’ve gathered more than 3400 if anyone would like a copy, including Josh, who is actually one of my Facebook friends today. If you’re interested, Josh, or anyone else, particularly teachers, send me an email (vilejjv@yahoo.com) and I will forward my list to you as a document.

Clearly, many still resonate today: 





I wish more political figures kept this in mind.















My teenage students could relate to this one.




































Chaucer was talking about war (werre);
but I always thought this applied to school reformers, people who never teach.






I always thought this last quote summed up the trials and tribulations that come along during a stretch of any teen’s life.


Two Legs Suffice: Lessons Learned by Teaching is available at Amazon.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment