Friday, February 10, 2023

1831

 


Romance in the style of 1831.


Lucy Larcom’s tale, A New England Girlhood, tells of her life growing up in the 1830s. McMaster recommends it. 

Like many books out of copyright, it is available online through the Gutenberg Project. 

It might bear reading. I note this passage, where Larcom (she was born in 1824, and went on to become a teacher herself) describes attending school at the home of “Aunt Hannah.” Children of all ages are enrolled, so long as they can walk and talk and learn their letters.

 

Aunt Hannah used her kitchen or her sitting room for a schoolroom, as best suited her convenience. We were delighted observers of her culinary operations and other employments. If a baby’s head nodded, a little bed was made for it on a soft “comforter” in the corner, where it had its nap out undisturbed. But this did not often happen; there were so many interesting things going on that we seldom became sleepy.

 

Aunt Hannah was very kind and motherly, but she kept us in fear of her ferule, which indicated to us a possibility of smarting palms. This ferule was shaped much like the stick with which she stirred her hasty pudding for dinner, – I thought it was the same, – and I found myself caught in a whirlwind of family laughter by reporting at home that “Aunt Hannah punished the scholars with the pudding-stick.”

 

There was one colored boy in school, who did not sit on a bench, like the rest, but on a block of wood that looked like a backlog turned endwise. Aunt Hannah often called him a “blockhead,” and I supposed it was because he sat on that block. Sometimes, in his absence, a boy was made to sit in his place for punishment, for being a “blockhead” too, as I imagined. I hoped I should never be put there. Stupid little girls received a different treatment, – an occasional rap on the head with the teacher’s thimble; accompanied with a half-whispered, impatient ejaculation, which sounded very much like “Numskull!” I think this was a rare occurrence, however, for she was a good-natured, much-enduring woman.

 

NOTE TO TEACHERS: I wonder what students today would say about this kind of schooling. And what was that unfortunate young African American boy sitting on the block thinking?

 

Larcom’s father died when she was young, leaving her mother to raise eight children by herself. The family moved to Lowell, Massachusetts and her mother started taking in boarders, girls working in the mills of the town. Lucy went to a real grammar school for the first time. 

She explains, 

For the first time in our lives, my little sister and I became pupils in a grammar school for both girls and boys, taught by a man. I was put with her into the sixth class, but was sent the very next day into the first. I did not belong in either, but somewhere between. And I was very uncomfortable in my promotion, for though the reading and spelling and grammar and geography were perfectly easy, I had never studied any thing but mental arithmetic, and did not know how to “do a sum.” We had to show, when called up to recite, a slateful of sums, “done” and “proved.” No explanations were ever asked of us.

 

The girl who sat next to me saw my distress, and offered to do my sums for me. I accepted her proposal, feeling, however, that I was a miserable cheat. But I was afraid of the master, who was tall and gaunt, and used to stalk across the schoolroom, right over the desk-tops, to find out if there was any mischief going on. Once, having caught a boy annoying a seat-mate with a pin, he punished the offender by pursuing him around the schoolroom, sticking a pin into his shoulder whenever he could overtake him. And he had a fearful leather strap, which was sometimes used even upon the shrinking palm of a little girl. If he should find out that I was a pretender and deceiver, as I knew that I was, I could not guess what might happen to me. He never did, however. I was left unmolested in the ignorance which I deserved. But I never liked the girl who did my sums, and I fancied she had a decided contempt for me.

 

There was a friendly looking boy always sitting at the master's desk; they called him "the monitor." It was his place to assist scholars who were in trouble about their lessons, but I was too bashful to speak to him, or to ask assistance of anybody. I think that nobody learned much under that regime, and the whole school system was soon after entirely reorganized.



No comments:

Post a Comment